Its amazing how we can derive inspiration from flowers and make a dish. The word nargisi comes from the flower Nargis also known as Narcissus poeticus. Mythology has it that this flower sprang up when Narcissus (the beautiful man who fell in love with himself) died. No wonder the flower holds attraction and is extremely beautiful to look at. The urdu poets usually compared beautiful eyes with Nargis flower.
The koftas are called nargisi because they are shaped to appear like a flower. The non vegetarian version involves meat wrapped around a boiled egg, so when you break open the kofta the yellow yolk is surrounded by white looks lovely. The same thing can be done in vegetarian dishes.
As this recipe is under Mummy Ki Rasoi Section, its her who did all the hard work and produced this amazingly tasty and beautiful looking dish.
Its a wonderful less oil dish to make during parties when you want the food to be low cal (as almost everyone is constant diet) and also to taste heavenly.
Ingredients for The Koftas :
1. Paneer 200 gms
2. Corn Flour 1 tsp
3. Turmeric 1 pinch - Just to give the color.
4. 1 tsp oil.
Procedure to make Koftas :
1. Mash Paneer nicely and then add corn flour.
2. Knead it well to make a dough.
3. Now take little quantity of this paneer aside and mix turmeric to give it yellow color.
4. Make yellow balls and keep aside.
5. Now flatten white paneer in your palm and put the yellow ball inside the white one. Cover the yellow portion nicely with the white one and give a diamond shape.
6. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, arrange the kofta balls and cover to let them cook. After 2 -3 minutes flip the side.
7. Grill them nicely on both sides
8. Now cut the koftas from middle so that the yellow part shows just like the Nargis flower.
Ingredients for the Gravy:
1. 2 Onions.
2. 3 tomatoes, ginger and chilies.
3. 1/2 tsp Turmeric.
4. 2 tsp coriander powder.
5. 1/2 tsp red chili powder.
6.1/4 tsp clove-cinnamon powder.
7. 1/2 tsp Garam Masala.
8. Milk 1 small bowl or 1/2 cup.
9. Oil 2 tsp.
10. Salt to taste.
1. Grind Onions and make a paste.
2. Grind ginger, tomatoes and chili together to make a puree.
3. Heat oil in pan and add onion paste. Stir nicely and add let them turn brown. Add turmeric and coriander powder and mix well.
4. Add tomato gravy and let it cook till it changes color and thickens.
5. Add milk and let it boil.
6. Add clove- cinnamon powder and garam masala and salt.
7. Add the koftas and let it simmer for 3 minutes so that the gravy seeps inside the kofta.
Remember, add koftas before serving.
8. Garnish with green coriander leaves and serve hot. Enjoy!!!
Recipe By - Purn Shashi Sarna