Sabudana khichadi has been my all time favorite. My sister makes amazing sabudana khichadi. She would cook everything in lots of ghee, fry the potatoes in ghee and then the sabudana.
When I was 74 kgs I would say no to this delicious dish. I told my sis 'once I touch 69 kgs I will surely have it'. Finally, I had this stuff when I touched 68 kgs. Awesome.
My husband observes full 9 day of fast during Navratri. Though he does try to go on only fruits but we all know how he is (don't we). So, in an attempt to get down the calorie content of this dish I tried the microwave version and it came out to be pretty good. This is how we eat sabudana khichadi now.
1. 1 cup sago seeds - Wash them with water and then drain. Just leave very little water. Leave overnight or 6-7 hours.
2. 1 large potato - chopped into square pieces.
3. 1 green chilli.
4. handful roasted crushed peanuts - microwave them for 3 minutes and then crush.
5. 1 tsp oil.
6. 1 tsp ghee.
7. 1 tsp cumin seeds.
8. 1/2 tsp sugar.
9. Salt to taste.
1. In a microwavable bowl, put oil and cumin seeds and microwave for 30 seconds. Don't forget to cover the bowl.
2. Add the chopped potatoes and chillies, mix this stuff well with a spoon so that the oil is spread evenly. Cover the lid of the bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Take out and mix well with spoon. Microwave for another 2 minutes.
3. Now do the fun part. Add the sago seeds, peanuts, sugar, salt. Mix well with spoon. Put the lid on the microwavable bowl and microwave for 2 minutes.
4. Squeeze lemon and garnish with coriander.
5. Don't forget to enjoy.
This is my entry for MEC - Healthy Diet food Event and also my entry to Srivalli's MEC - Easy Cooking Event